Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years

It's been ten years.


Ten years since September 11.

I am sitting here in front of my blank computer screen, staring at the blinking cursor and trying to decide what to write. 

What words can I type that can convey the overwhelming sadness, the fear, the anger, the frustration at the inability to help?

What words can I type that can convey how my throat swells and tears come into my eyes at every thought and mention of that day, even ten years later?

What words can I type of the stories of bravery, of persistence, of kindness, of generosity, and of love?

There are no words.
We have such strong collective memories of that day. 

I was a senior in high school, just setting off for my second week of school.  I remember walking into the living room, backpack in hand, when I noticed my parents staring in shocked silence at the television.


I watched as the second plane flew into the building.


I remember feeling so utterly unprepared, like it was a dream.  It was the first major national tragedy I was old enough to actually understand and fully grasp. 


And as the day went on and we watched more and more footage, tears were shed.  We were all in a huge state of unbelief.  How could this have happened? 

The overwhelming sadness, the anger, the frustration at my inability to do anything to help.  People were dying and we knew it, but there was nothing we could do. 

Two thousand, nine hundred and eighty five people dead.  Over three thousand children left without a parent.  So much loss.
I have had ten years to reflect on the tragedy of September 11.  And I have come to the conclusion that while there is no lesson in such a horrific act, we have to take SOMETHING away from it, to learn from it so we can all prevent it from happening again. 

THIS is why we raise our children without hate.  THIS is why we teach tolerance and acceptance of anyone who is different - be it religion, race, or sexuality. 

 Because hate breeds evil, but love conquers.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...