Saturday, September 18, 2010

Top Ten Must-Have Baby Items:

So I've been thinking a lot lately about what baby items I simply could NOT manage without.  These are the things that if you are pregnant, you should RUN to the nearest Target (why Target? because Target has everything and is awesome on top of that) and buy.

1. My hands-free pumping brassiere.  Yes, I'm wearing it right now.  This thing has saved my life while pumping many times.  Ever try holding two flanges and trying to put a pacifier into your screaming baby's mouth?  Yup, this thing is worth it JUST for that. Not to mention how I spend 3-4 hours a day hooked up to this thing... might as well make it just a wee bit less boring by being able to multi-task.


2. Moby wrap.  Who'd have guessed that my little man would love a long stretchy piece of fabric over his Baby Bjorn?  I didn't even buy one, I just bought some stretchy jersey knit and cut it to the right size.  This wrap has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, since Cole loves to be held all.the.time.  Ever tried unloading the dishwasher while holding a baby?  This makes it one thousand percent easier.


3. The Boppy.  When I was nursing Cole, the Boppy was a.mazing.  I even wished I had brought it with me to the hospital - trying to control five or six pillows, stuffing them into the right spots and trying not to drop my screaming hungry baby was not super fun.  The Boppy just fits right around me, puts the baby at the perfect height, and supports me perfectly.  Even now, when I'm not nursing, I use the Boppy to support my arms when holding my heavy little chunky monkey.  And I'm not the only one who loves the Boppy:



4. Baby bathtub.  Folks, this thing ROCKS!  Since we've always lived in teeny-tiny houses with little by the way of bathroom storage, I hesitated to buy the bathtub for Cole.  But right before he was born, I found one for $5 on Craigslist and thought what the heck, I'll try it out.  You guys, I LOVE IT!!  As a super nervous first time mama who has had more than one nightmare about accidentally drowning my baby in the bath, this thing was a lifesaver.  It helped me to really relax and enjoy Cole's bathtime.  If I had it to do over again, I might splurge (and by splurge I mean spend $20) and get the tub that has a temperature thingy since I'm forever getting the temperature wrong. 


5, 6, 7. Our carseat.  Well, they won't let you leave the hospital without one, so yeah, it was kinda important.



But we liked it for other things too - a major space saver was getting the snap and go stroller frame and the swing frame for the carseat too... a must since we live in such tiny houses with limited space.



8.  These burp cloths.  I made at least a dozen and we use them all.the.time.  Because Cole spits up all.the.time. 


9. My diaper bag.  If you do nothing else, invest in a good diaper bag...one that's cute AND functional.  I had one before Cole was born that I bought years and years ago for $3 at  yard sale.  It was fine, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.  It was too bulky and didn't fit under the stroller and I just didn't like it.  My mom bought me my JJ Cole diaper bag - it was splurge - but since I use it every single day and will use it for my next child, I think it was worth it.  And I LOVE not having to fumble for a diaper and wipes while trying to hold a crying baby on a rickety public changing table - look for something that's got lots of compartments so it's easy to find what you need.
10. Books, books, books.  For a long time, Cole was not really interested in anything I would do to try to entertain him other than books.  He loves being read to and looking at the pictures - and it doesn't get any more portable. 

So there you have it.  Baby must-haves as according to Mandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...