Monday, December 24, 2012

O Christmas Tree

It's no secret that I'm pretty picky when it comes to our Christmas decorations.

Everything has a specific place it needs to go.  THIS nativity goes HERE...don't dare put THAT decoration on THIS nail.

The Christmas tree is no exception. Seriously, if Chris helps me decorate it and puts on three ornaments, I will most likely move two of those three.  It has to be just right, you know what I mean? 

But one of the lessons I've learned since becoming a mama is to let things go.  To find the beauty in the process, instead of the outcome.

So when Cole was thrilled - THRILLED - to decorate the tree earlier this month, I took a deep breath and pulled out my camera.

I vowed to not move a single ornament he placed oh-so-carefully on the tree.  I photographed the concentration on his face, the thoughtfulness he put into hanging the tricky hooks on the branches.  I watched as he proceeded to put eleven of the exact same ornament on a single drooping branch and didn't remove a single one. 

I took so much joy from watching him, seeing him step back with a professional frown to check his artistry.  As he moved one ornament from one branch to another.

And especially as he ran to his daddy as he came home from work: "DADDY! TRWEE! COLE O-NAMEN TRWEE!"

so proud. 

My tree is decorated lopsided from the bottom third down.  The ornaments are crooked and clustered.  But I'll be darned if I touch a single ornament and erase even a second of that pride off my boy's face.




Some things are more important, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...