Tuesday, April 21, 2015

One of those days

It was one of those days.

Cole was demanding and arguing with everything I said.  Chase was whiny and clingy.  Neither one napped, the laundry and dishes were piling up, and nothing was going right.

But, as always, I took a deep breath and tried my best to be present and patient for bedtime. No matter how awful our day was, I try every night to dig down deep for my last crumbs of patience so we can end the day on a high note.

Last night, I held Chase snuggled in my arms while he drank his bottle.  I brushed his teeth and gave him one last hug and kiss before laying him in his crib.  While I tucked him in, Chase reached up his chubby little hand and gently caressed my arm, smiling up at me around his bink. 

Later on, after asking Cole over and over... and OVER again to get ready for bed, he came running into my bedroom excitedly asking me to come see.  I swallowed my impatience, noticing his enthusiasm, and followed him into the hallway.

"JUST STAND RIGHT HERE, MOM.  RIGHT HERE.  AND...LOOK OVER THERE!  THE BEAUTIFUL SUNSET!"

Cole pointed me in the direction of the gorgeous sunset streaming right in through our window.  It was almost as bright as his smile, beaming at me with pride.

"ISN'T IT SO PRETTY? I THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE IT!" he said, giving me a hug.

"It IS so beautiful, son.  I'm so glad you showed me! It's just what I needed to see today!" I told him.

Time and time again, I'm reminded to slow down, to be more patient, to give second and third and fourth chances to my boys.  It always pays off in the sweetest of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...