Wednesday, March 20, 2013

my sister

I want to talk for a moment about my sister.

She's been my sister all my life (obviously).  We're only two years apart.  My childhood is filled with memories of playing with and arguing with her.  She slapped a boy across the face when I was seven because he wouldn't stop bothering me.  On hot days, we loved to fill up squirt bottles and squirt each other - until she squirted me in the face, after which I would refuse to play with her any more.  We walked to the bus stop or to school together for many years.  She was my maid of honor at my wedding, and I was her matron of honor at hers.  

Our relationship changed when I had Cole - not in a bad way, but just in the way that people who have kids have just a bit less in common with people who don't.  We still talked together most days of the week, still loved each other, but it was just a little bit different.  My life was centered around being a mama, and while she loved Cole dearly, the deep, all-encompassing love for a child was not something she could fully understand (as anyone who is not a parent can attest).

Then, in October, she had her baby - her Rowen.  My first niece.

And suddenly, it was as though we were even closer.  Even better friends than we were.  Suddenly, we had so much in common again.  Suddenly, we each had even more mutual respect and understanding for what it means to be a new mama.

The bonds of motherhood, of sisterhood, of friends, of women - now we have all of those in common.  The sleepless nights, the unending worry, the pure joy in their accomplishments, the struggles to make the right decisions...but most of all the mother-love for our babies. 

For Meg's baby shower, we each wrote a message in a notebook for her.  I wrote, "I am so glad to be a part of this journey of motherhood with you."  And it's so true.  I love watching her mother Rowen.  I adore listening to her talk about Rowen and about being a mother.  I love that we have so much new respect and love for each other, that we have yet another way to bond with together.







To you, Meaghan...my sister, my friend.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Mandy-loo! I'm so glad you're my sister, and I'm so glad to be able to share this adventure that is motherhood with you. Thank you for writing such a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...