Friday, August 28, 2009

I Heart Yard Sales

I LOVE yard sales. Any given Friday or Saturday morning, you can bet that I'll be driving around town in desperate search of yard sales. Nothing makes me more happy than to score an awesome deal or bargain someone down. Chris doesn't like to go with me because he gets so embarassed when I offer less - he'll say, "Are you going to offer less?" and go sit in the car.

If you come to house, the majority of any items in my house are yard sale purchases. The entertainment center? $30 at an awesome mid-winter yard sale (originally $40, bargained her down and she even threw in all three "Terminator" DVDs - great deal!). The DVD holders? Yup, one was $5, one was $3. The bed? $50. The Pottery Barn lamps in the living room? Both for $2 (that was an awesome deal). And, of course, my favorite things to buy at yard sales are various baby items. Our children are going to be the most decked out kids on the block before they are even born! Check out these babies I got last weekend:

These are $38.95 on the website (Robeez) - I got 'em for a dollar!! Love it.

However, there are some things you just don't get at a yard sale. Like underwear. Any kind of underwear. I went to a yard sale once that had a whole box of used underwear - including a Christmas thong with a jingle bell on it. A real ringing jingle bell. Not joking. I was like, does anyone actually buy stuff like this?? The second weirdest item I've ever seen at a yard sale? A set of penis dishes. Looking back, I guess they were probably for a bridal shower or something - but why would someone BUY a set of penis dishes? Is it like an investment or something? "Oh look honey, the in-laws are coming to dinner. Let's be sure to put out the penis dishes for them!" Anybody out there ever find something crazy at a yard sale?

Well, off to cuddle with my crazy dogs. Happy Friday, everyone.


1 comment:

  1. I adore yard sales! And luck has it that my hubby does too. Our apartment and even items in our office have been great finds on an early morning quest to "get there before all the good stuff is taken." I can't think of anything super strange that I've seen, although I'm sure I've come across some funny stuff before... but I do recall a real drag out race to the finish with one woman at a yard sale. There was a box full of flute sheet music. I play the flute, this woman did not, BUT her granddaughter was going to learn next year in the fourth grade. She wouldn't listen when I told her the music was too difficult for a beginner, so she started to frantically grab all the books. Of course I wasn't going to let her just have them all, so I dug into the box just as fast. Within seconds the box was empty and we both walked away with our arms full of sheet music. Me with a smile, (I got some pretty great pieces) her with a look of, "Now what do I do with all this music?” Hee hee... silly, but its part of the great world of Yard saling!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...