Thursday, September 16, 2010

When multi-tasking isn't an option

I am such a multi-tasker.  I love to do more than one thing at once. While I'm writing this, I'm pumping, eating, and texting.


But since having Cole, I've learned how it can be absolute perfection to do just one thing at a time.  Before becoming a parent, I always thought babies were a little boring.  Cute, yes.  Adorable, of course.  But I always wanted to be doing something else while being with babies.


Not anymore.


As I rush home from my day's work, all I can think about is spending uncluttered time with my baby.  There's nothing I would rather do than read to my little man, or sit on the floor listening to him talk, or hold him while he practices standing.

Even as a consummate multi-tasker, I don't do anything else.  I just spend time with my son.  There was a time I would have thought this boring, not stimulating enough for me.  Not anymore. I don't need anything else other than the absolute perfection of watching my baby. 

I think of all the things I should be doing - laundry, unpacking, organizing, dishes, cooking, lesson plans, vacuuming... but I know that my child needs my undivided attention more than anything else. 

In a world where multi-tasking reigns, and it's never enough to only be doing one thing at a time, I have learned that the rules of the world don't apply to raising my baby.  Sometimes I need to just stop and enjoy with every fiber of my being my beautiful son.  

And it's anything but boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...