Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Wholesome Baby Food

Here's what I've been up to lately:

photo via

Yup, that's baby food.  To be honest, I'd never even thought about making my own baby food before.  You know, you go down the aisles at the grocery store and see the jars and jars of every imaginable pureed baby food in convenient little jars - why worry about making your own?

But then I read the ingredients on some of those jars.  And I couldn't pronounce every word.  To me, that's a warning sign.  I want my baby to be as healthy as possible - and one of the ways to do that is to make sure he eats as healthy as possible.

So after doing some research (www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource!), I embarked on making my own baby purees, which is so much simpler than I thought it would be - plus way, way less expensive!  All I do is choose my food, steam/bake if needed, then puree with breastmilk until a smooth consistency.  I've found it easier to make a big batch, then freeze into individual portions using ice cube trays.  It takes just a few minutes to pop them out, toss them into labeled baggies, and into the freezer (which, by the way, between my breast milk stash and the bags of baby food is starting to be taken over by baby Cole!).

photo via

Even though it does take some extra time and effort, it makes me feel so good to know that I am still doing my best to provide the healthiest nutrition for him!

Plus, with my horrible cooking skillz, it's probably a good idea to get Cole used to my special brand of "cooking" early on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...