Monday, January 31, 2011

Regret...

Not a day goes by that I don't feel incredible regret that breastfeeding didn't work out for us.

Did I do the right thing by pumping instead of breastfeeding?  What if I could have held on a little longer? Should I have kept trying to breastfeed Cole? Did I give up too easily?


But then I take a step back and get some perspective.


I realize that it's not my fault.  It takes two to breastfeed.  I did the best I could, and still am by pumping. 


My son is healthy and happy.  He will grow up strong.  Whether or not he gets milk straight from the source or the bottle, he is well fed. 

Sometimes, despite all the research, support, and best of intentions, things just don't work out the way we want them to.  And it's ok.  I will learn how to be flexible, go with the flow, and respond to my baby's needs any way I can, even if it's not in my plan.

After all, it's only the first bump in a long line of bumps in the child-raising road!







2 comments:

  1. I think if you're still pumping this far along, you are doing AWESOME!!! I breastfed one side and pumped one side for 8 months and both are equally as challenging and the end result is the same - that sweet baby book gets mommy's milk! No regrets, you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he is still getting mommy milk so you have won half the battle! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...