Monday, January 17, 2011

Uh-oh, she's on her soapbox again

I have to admit, I used to be totally guilty of "overparenting". 

My name is Mandy and I am an overparent-er. (Your turn: Hi, Mandy).

Before I had Cole, I was completely for taking advantage of the huge brain developmental leaps that occur in the first few years of a child's life.  I was all for giving Cole every possible advantage to make him smarter, better, more talented than others his age.

Cause, isn't that the point?  Doesn't that make one's life easier if he/she is better than everyone else?  And don't we all want our children to BE THE BEST?

Well, duh.

But here's the thing.  I came across this article the other day.  And I was horrified.  Sports camps for babies?  Athletic training for toddlers?  All so these poor children have a so-called advantage in sports when they are older?  What on earth?

How am I the only mother who thinks this is ridiculous?

And an even more important question: When do these poor babies PLAY?

Yeah, remember that?  It's that thing that doesn't involve video games, or TV, or noisy toys, or TRAINING CAMPS - just a blanket made into a fort, or a stick that's used for a sword.  Good old fashioned imaginative play. 

We wonder as a society why we are graduating students from high school who have no creative thinking ability, no skills to actually CREATE something; well DUH, it's because we as parents are dictating their every waking moment from birth onward!  These children have no idea how to entertain themselves, and thus have idea how to create something from nothing.

I fully understand how strong the urge is to give a child every possible advantage.  But isn't it more important to make sure that our children have a fun childhood?  I hope with all my heart that Cole grows up successful in whatever he decides to undertake.  But more importantly, I hope that when Cole grows up, he has a memory of a FUN childhood, filled with casual wiffle-ball games in the backyard, blanket tents in the living room, and cardboard box houses.

And the really awesome thing about all that play?  I think it's better for his brain development anyway.  Not to mention a whole lot more fun for Cole's parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...