Thursday, March 24, 2011

Parenting

I received a compliment the other day from a friend that quite possibly might be the best compliment I could have hoped for as a parent.

She said, "Wow...you really put a lot of effort into parenting, don't you?"

Perhaps she didn't mean it as a compliment.

But you know what?  I DO put a lot of effort into my parenting.  To me, parenting is a job.  Not just any job, but THE MOST important job I will ever have.  Why SHOULDN'T I put forth a lot of effort?  The best effort?

I remember getting my first subscription to "Parents" magazine when I was 15.  Why? Because I wanted to learn how to become a good parent.  I don't believe anyone is born simply knowing how to parent.  I think it's incredibly important to know the latest research that's out there for parents  There's nothing that irritates me more than a parent who simply parents without thought or research. 

You wouldn't want a doctor to become a doctor without years of schooling, right?  Or a teacher to become a teacher without a degree?  So why should parenting, an even more important job, have any lower expectations or standards?

So yes, almost any free time day or night, you will find me researching parenting websites.  Examining theories and research.  Discussing on message boards best ways to discipline.  Because this is the most important job I will ever have, and it's worth the time and research to do the best job I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...