Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dogs and Cole

One of the first things friends ask us when talking about Cole is: "How have the dogs done with the adjustment?"

So here's the update.

We always expected that Nala would be the baby-lover in the family.  She's THE MOST tolerant dog ever, did great with any of the kids I ever babysat, and has lovingly put up with abuse from Chris on a regular basis for almost 6 years.

But, for some reason, she's not a huge fan of Cole.

Don't get me wrong, she loves him.  From a distance, anyways.

When Cole wakes up from his nap, she's the first one to scramble off the couch (even if she was dead asleep) and run into his room to make sure he's ok.  If I'm otherwise occupied (read: peeing) then she frantically comes in a nudges me as if to say, "Hello?!  He's awake! He's crying! DO something about it!"  She's also firmly camped out behind the rocker any time that we're in Cole's room and will. not. budge until Cole is safely asleep and I'm out of there. 


But when Cole starts crawling toward her, pulling her poor tail and patting (hitting) her nose?  No, siree, Nala is OUT of there!  She's not the touchy-feely type when it comes to babies, I guess!

Now Chloe on the other hand...I have to admit I was a teensy bit anxious about getting a Jack Russel Terrier.  They sometimes don't have the best reputation for being patient with small children.  But Chloe is IN LOVE with Cole.  Seriously, they are best friends.  She loves to play with him, graciously allows him to do all sorts of fur-pulling, tail-tugging, leg-pinching activities on her, and just licks his face in absolute love and devotion. 



I love how much the dogs are a part of our little family, even with our latest addition.  And I love how much Cole loves the dogs - hopefully it will continue to be a life-long lesson about how to treat animals with kindness, respect, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...