Friday, December 2, 2011

18 months

Dear Cole,


Today, you are 18 months old, which seems all at once very young and very old.  Very young, because it feels as though you've been around forever.  Very old, because I just can't believe my teeny tiny mister is already 18 months!!

My sister told me once that there are three stages of babyhood: the part where they understand less than a dog does, the part when they understand about the same, and then the part where they understand more than a dog does.  You, my boy, are officially smarter than our dogs - and it is amazing to behold. 

You are making such amazing connections.  Yesterday, you found a brass key (our mailbox key is a little brass one) and you walked to the door saying, "Mai! Mai!" (mail).  You found a picture of a Christmas tree in a story book and pointed to our Christmas tree.  If you spill something, you run to the drawer with the towels and hurry back to enthusiastically wipe up the mess.  You are fascinated by other kids as well.

You are so loving, my darling boy.  You dole out kisses like candy - to Daddy and me, to the dogs, to your grandparents.  It is beyond adorable.  Today I taught you how to give Eskimo kisses, which you thought was hysterical, so I foresee a lot of those in our future too.

While you still are only saying a few words, your fine motor skills are off the chart. You run and climb like nobody's business. Especially the running.  Last week in the grocery store you took off running and I seriously had to book it to catch you.  Pretty surprising considering how much smaller your legs are than mine!

A couple weeks ago, my friend Kadance and her baby boy, Declan, were riding in the car with us.  Declan fell asleep in his carseat while Kadance and I were talking in the front.  We were interrupted by you loudly shushing us, because you noticed Declan sleeping!





And while I occasionally tear up when I remember what a tiny little helpless lump of cuteness you were just a short 18 months ago, I am so thrilled to see how much growing and learning you have left to do.
We love you with all our hearts, my son. 
Love,
Mama and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...