Thursday, March 22, 2012

Links

I've been collecting some really awesome links for the past month or so:

This article is an excellent point on how Time-Outs are not a very good discipline technique, and why Time-Ins are a better choice to teach kids how to appropriately manage their emotions.  I love how Dr. Laura gives concrete, thoughtful parenting tips.


As an educator for many years, I'm pretty passionate about preventing childhood sexual abuse (which is all too prevalent).  Here is a must-read article about ways to prevent abuse.  I especially love the part about respecting your child's body boundaries, which is why we never, ever force Cole to give a hug or a kiss to someone, even a close relative, if he doesn't want to.


I literally laughed out loud at Summer's post about the five second rule.  She is hysterical and her blog is too - if you're not following her, go do it now!

I saw this article on a friend's Facebook and just had to repost.  I think daddies often underestimate their importance in their child's lives, and just how much a single comment or ignoring attitude can effect a child.  I'm glad to say that my child's daddy is not one of those kind.

This NPR article about how children's play has shifted from a focus on activity to a focus on "things" in the last 50 years.  I read this article about a month ago and I still think daily about how I can encourage Cole's playtime to be less "toy oriented".  It's really amazing how advertizing, big companies, and greed motivate and change how our children play and think.

Yet another article highlighting the importance of why TV is not for kids.

Oh my.  This blog post is perfect.  I plan on printing it out and giving it to Cole when he's old enough to understand.  It makes my heart so glad that there are people out there who are so loving and kind.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link love, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links! I copied and pasted them all so I can read them when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...