Sunday, May 13, 2012

Personality

Almost two years ago, I walked (or waddled...I WAS 9 months pregnant) through the hospital parking lot knowing our lives would never be the same.  Your daddy and I were so excited, so filled with anticipation to meet you - to see your little face, count your fingers and toes, exclaim over how much hair you had...but I was most excited to find out about YOU as a person - your personality, your likes and dislikes. 


Over the past few years, I've loved watching your personality develop, seeing your likes and dislikes as a newborn turn into your likes and dislikes as a toddler.  From day one, you HATED having your nose touched - especially suctioned with the booger-sucker.  HATED it.  You would scream bloody murder.  You still do!  


If you were crying inconsolably, we would turn on music and dance with you, and sometimes it would be the only thing that could calm you down.  Now, you have a huge passion for music and ask for it several times a day.  You aren't much into dancing, but you would let me hold you close and dance with you for hours.


As a bright-eyed infant, you adored looking at books - and you still do, for hours on end.  As a baby, you loved to be outside - and today, if there's a day we don't get outside, it usually ends up being a rough day! You still need your outdoor time, just like your daddy. 


On days when I feel as though your Birth Day was soooo long ago, it bring me joy and comfort to know that some things don't change.  You are still YOU, just a bit bigger (and more mobile!).


I remember my mom telling me one day about a research paper she wrote.  Nature vs. nurture.  She discussed my sister's and my sleep habits - how my sister fell asleep like my dad, and how I unfailingly always fell asleep just like my mom (on my stomach, hands under my hips).  It wasn't something we were taught, it was an innate personality trait handed down in genetics.

Is it conceited to say how much I love seeing bits and pieces of our personalities in yours, my son?  Sometimes you'll do something, and it is so achingly familiar, and I realize it is an echo of your daddy.  Or I notice how when you're nervous you put your fingers in your mouth (I still chew on my cuticles when I'm anxious!).

It is amazing to see us, as your parents, reflected in you - and yet, you are still so amazingly unique.  We cannot wait to see what other surprises you have in store for us!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...