Monday, May 7, 2012

Toddler Bed

Look who's in a Big Boy Toddler Bed!


Um, yes.  My child? my itty-bitty teeny little boy who happens to not be so little anymore?  this is undeniable proof that he is, in fact, growing up before my eyes.  I'm pretty sure I had a harder time with this transition than Cole did!

So why did we decide to transition him to a toddler bed right now?
  • Our pediatrician recommended we switch him when his nipples are even with the top of his crib, since toddlers are so top-heavy it is easy for him to topple over the top.
  • It's still cool enough at night for Cole to be in his sleep sack, which makes it pretty hard for him to be up and moving around, so it is easier for him to stay in his bed.
  • We will begin potty training soon, so we want him to be able to get up to use the potty.
  • The timing is great - no major changes looming on the horizon.  We aren't planning on moving for at least several months, so we can get this change taken care of before any other major life changes happen.
Even with this list of excellent reasons, I was REALLY nervous about this - and tried so hard not to let on to Cole how anxious I was feeling!  Something about him being in the bed made him seem so exposed, so vulnerable - more than any other transition we've hit so far, this one hit me the hardest with realizing that he's growing up!

Fortunately, Cole didn't pick up on my anxiety and did amazing.  The first night, he had about five minutes of tears - and it has been 100% smooth sailing from there on out! He hasn't gotten out of bed once - when he wakes up, he simply sits up in his bed and waits for one of us to come down to get him.  I'm sure he'll eventually figure out that he has the freedom to get up and run around like a crazy person in his room, but for now, I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...