Monday, July 30, 2012

Birth, Part 2

We've put a lot of thought into how we want our birth experience with Baby 2.

It's not that our birth with Cole was bad or anything.  We just feel it could be better.  So this time we are so excited to be using a midwife at a waterbirth center (Trillium Waterbirth Center) and here's why:

1. Last time, I used a midwifery that had four midwives - and any of those midwives could be the one who delivered Cole, depending on who was on call at the time.  So it was in our best interest to meet with each one in rotation, to get familiar with each one - however, it made it hard to have consistent communication.  I would tell one midwife about an issue, and it wouldn't get translated to the next one at the next appointment. 

I love that I will have one single midwife (who has given me her private cell number that I can call at any time!) who will foster some great communication.

2. Our appointments at the last midwifery always felt rushed.  A nurse would come in and take my blood pressure and other stats, type it into the chart, and then the midwife would come in for a 15 minute appointment, most of which was spent typing and reading the chart, with little eye contact with me.  I know this is normal, but it just felt rather impersonal.

At the birth center, the midwife takes a full hour for every single appointment.  The midwife takes all the stats - we were told that during the birth, the midwife keeps track of the baby's heart rate and knows instantly if anything's wrong with it, because she's the one who has been listening to the heart rate the whole pregnancy.  She is the only one who writes in the chart.  She has a real connection with my baby and me.

3.  At Trillium, Cole is welcome at every single appointment.  They have a play area set up in each examine room, so I don't have to stress about finding someone to watch him.  Plus, I love how he can be a part of the pregnancy process (although he will NOT be present for the birth).  He's a part of our family too, and I believe it will ease some of the stress of transition if he is a part of the process the whole way.

4. When I gave birth at the hospital, it was wonderful.  The nurses were wonderful, I felt we received exceptional care - but I think we can have a birth experience that is a little more tailored to "us" at the birth center.  One of my strongest memories of Cole's birth is pushing him out (obviously), but I clearly remember a huge crowd of medical personnel (Cole had some minor heart rate issues and they wanted to be prepared) standing at the foot of the bed, yawning, gossiping, and reading "People" magazine.  I was like, hello?!  Most important moment of my life here and you guys are staring at my hoo-ha and reading gossip magazines?!  I'm looking forward to a birth that is a little more peaceful and respectful, not as much "a day at work". 

5. Waterbirth option.  Need I say more??  I've heard so much about how much better a waterbirth is (giving birth in a tub full of warm water, instead of on a bed).  I'm not sure if it's something I'm going to want or not, but it's nice to have the option.

6. I spend a lot of time thinking about how traumatic a birth is for the wee little baby.  One minute, he/she is in the warm, soft, comfortable, dark womb...then the most stressful thing happens and suddenly, he/she is in this loud, bright, crazy scary place!  Obviously, there's not much to make that better - but I want to do anything I can do to make it a little more peaceful - lowered lights, quiet peaceful voices, and as much time to hold our little baby in our arms as possible after the birth. 

Well, that's it in a nutshell.  Experienced mamas out there, any opinions?  I'd love to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...