Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Breastfeeding Post: Part 1

I optimistically named this post Part 1 in the hopes that I will soon write Part 2 with a much more positive ending.

My name is Mandy and I am a proud breastfeeding mama.

I am hugely passionate about breastfeeding - I hold completely with the belief that breast is best. I won't get started on all the benefits of breastfeeding (perfect nutrition for baby, healthier for mama, less expensive, more convenient, etc). Breastfeeding was one decision Chris and I were both adamant regarding: we would breastfeed exclusively for six months, and hopefully continue supplementing up until Cole was a year and half.

Then I actually started breastfeeding.

And OH MY GOSH the PAIN!!!!

We are talking crying screaming bleeding nipples I-would-almost-rather-go-through-labor-again-than-feed-my-son pain.

I got blisters on my nipples. Bleeding cracks the size of the Grand Canyon. Vivid dreams that my nipples fell off (which is not far from the truth).

It would take my mom and Chris together to force Cole onto my breast, amid many tears and screams on my part.

I called three different lactation consultants, and visited two more. I discussed my predicament with our pediatrician and called the nurses at the birthing center.

All to no avail... we are three weeks in, and breastfeeding still causes me so much pain I dread latching my baby on. I cry every single time, with each breast. And I don't know what to do. I have tried everything, because I want nothing more than to succeed at breastfeeding. I have taken breastfeeding classes and researched breastfeeding and followed every person's advice. But even as I am trying to stick it out, since many people tell me the pain will eventually stop, I am not sure how much longer I can put up with the torturous pain for eight hours every day.

Any words of advice? All I want is to feed my child without pain. I want so badly to enjoy this experience. Has anyone else had these troubles? I would love to hear anything you all have to say!

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie! I feel ya because I was there, but without the blood and cracking nipples. I would be in tears as Isaac latched and nursed, and tears afterwards as I felt like my boobs were about ready to jump off my chest and make their way to the freezer to get a little relief! I breastfed Isaac for 13 months before he weaned himself, and those first weeks were horrid. But what people tell you about the pain subsiding is 100% true.

    1-Use cold compresses on your nipples, and if need be, take a cold shower.

    2-Take some Tylenol because it does help!!

    3-I never tried them, but I heard raves about Soothies. Basically I think they are like little jelly packs that you put in the fridge and they fit over your nipples...like a cold friendly hug for you!!

    4-Did the doctors give you some special lotion for your nipples? I forgot the name of it, but it helps soften your sisters and that reduces cracking. You rub it on right after he's done nursing, and then use a cold compress until the pain subsides. (I found myself laughing and crying when I looked in the mirror with two ice packs secured to my ta-tas!)

    What did the nurses tell you when you talked to them? They told me that I wasn't getting enough of my nipple into my son's mouth, that he was latching too far down and chomping really hard. I just felt so bad stuffing what I felt to be so much into his tiny little mouth!

    I'm sorry there's so much pain! :( I hope things get better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...