Monday, July 12, 2010

Cole's Birth Story

I've finally finished writing Cole's birth story, so I thought I'd share his journey into the world.

I'll start our story at the beginning, when my water broke. I had been sleeping uneasily for the past few weeks, in part to the complete discomfort of being nine months preggers and in part because of the complete excitement of being nine months preggers. But Wednesday morning I woke up at 5:30 feeling surprisingly rested, as though my body knew it had a big day ahead. I peed (yeah,big surprise), then took the dogs outside, when I noticed a trickling sensation. Of course, my first reaction was OH MY GOSH I JUST PEED I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M PEEING MY PANTS I AM SO READY TO BE DONE BEING PREGNANT!

But then I went into the bathroom and realized that my water had broken. I sat there in complete disbelief, unable to let the fact that this baby was coming out TODAY sink into my head. I ran (ok, waddled) upstairs to tell Chris my water had just broke - he said, "Are you sure?" I think he had some disbelief that our long wait had finally come to an end, too.

I called labor and delivery at the hospital to let them know we would be coming in, and we decided Chris should go to work for a couple hours since it was a busy day and the department was short staffed.
My mom and Meg left to get donuts and coffee while I busied myself packing last-minute items and timing my contractions, which were so mild I felt a little bit like a labor imposter. I took a nice hot shower and even shaved my legs (I know, it's silly, but it's amazing how much better you feel with shaved legs, and I knew I was going to need all the help I could get!) and blow-dried my hair. We left for the hospital around 8:00 (amid much teasing from my mom about how much stuff we were bringing! Hey, a girl's gotta be prepared!).

I'll never forget walking into the birthing center - a gentleman was walking in the parking lot and called out to us, "Is it time?!" I called back, "We hope so!" and I think that's when it really hit me, that when I walked the parking lot again it would be with our baby in my arms.
I was sent to a receiving room, since all their birthing rooms were full, and they hooked me up to monitors so I could see my contractions. They were steady and frequent, right on top of each other, but still very mild - a pleasant surprise! Around 9:30 I asked Chris to come down (he was working in his wing of the hospital) and we all moved to the birthing room. My contractions were starting to get quite a bit more noticible by now, but all I had to do was focus on Chris' face and listen to his instructions to breathe, deep breaths, and I made it through fine.
The midwife came to check me for the first time and announced that I was four centimeters dilated...but, she could break a pocket of my bag of waters if I wanted her to and see if that made a difference. I told her sure - she popped the water and all of a sudden I was six centimeters!!! I was so glad I was already over halfway there! But at this point, my contractions were definitely much more intense and painful, requiring all my concentration and focus to get through them.

At around 11, the wonderful nurse drew a bath for me in the Jacuzzi tub so I could labor for a while there - and it was instant heaven!!! My pain went from about a 7 (on a scale of 1 to 10) to a four... I remember chatting happily with Chris, hardly focusing on the contractions at all! But unfortunately Cole wasn't a big fan of the tub - his heart rate decreased rapidly at one point, so the nurses got me out of the tub quickly and to the bed so they could get me some fluids in my IV. I think that part was the scariest - even though it was only a minute or two that Cole was in any danger, I remember feeling panicked that something was wrong.

After that, the nurses needed to keep me in bed to monitor Cole's heartbeat - which I was thankful for, but it did make the contractions much more intense since I couldn't move around or change my position. I remember holding onto the handrail of the bed for dear life, squeezing the life out of Chris' hand, doing anything in my power to distract myself from the pain. It took every bit of focus and concentration with each wave of contraction to make it through. I will always remember looking up at Chris' face while he encouraged me through each one, stroking my hair and doing everything just right to help me through.

We called our doula to ask her to come on down (I didn't want to call her too soon and have her waste her day). By this time I was measuring at an 8 and in absolute misery from the contractions that were coming one after another. I barely remember my mom and Chris' mom and my sister coming into the room - I was having to concentrate so hard to get through each contraction.

Thus, Cole taught me our first lesson - when it comes to babies, our best laid plans often don't work out. Even though I desperately wanted a natural birth, I just couldn't handle the pain anymore and asked for an epidural.

After the epidural came, I felt instant relief from the pain. I didn't even end up "using" the epidural, the initial numbing shot the anesthesiologist gave me was enough to make it through. I remember being able to smile again - especially after the anesthesiologist thanked me for being skinny, since it made it easier for her to give the epidural. After nine months of pregnancy, I will definitely remember being called skinny!

Before labor, I was a little worried about being able to tell when I should push - but I needn't have been concerned. The urge to push was amazingly strong, overshadowing any other feeling. At 2:45 my midwife came in and announced that I was ten centimeters, ready to push. I couldn't believe that in such a short time we were going to meet our little man!

With each push, I could feel Cole descending, moving forward with each contraction. I focused so hard on Chris' face with each push, my only thought to bring his son into the world. I watched his face as he stood, ready to catch our son.

After a mere 45 minutes of strong pushing, I had one final push that focused all my energy and effort - and I felt our son enter the world into his Daddy's hands. Chris placed him, slippery and warm, on my stomach so I could hold him.
To be honest, I don't remember much else of those moments - my whole world suddenly shrunk and was focused on only my son's face. I couldn't believe how perfect he was - a perfectly shaped head, pink bow lips, a button nose, and the brightest eyes. I spent nearly an hour oblivious to everything else (including having my level 3 tear sewn up by a surgeon - ouch!).

Cole stayed curled up on my chest while Chris held us both and we marveled at his perfection. No one took him away for tests or measurements while we got to know each other. I couldn't believe that after so many months of wondering, I could finally memorize every inch of our son's perfectly formed body.

When we were good and ready, Chris gave Cole his first bath and helped the nurse weigh and measure - I couldn't believe that I actually pushed out an 8 pound, 6 ounce baby! I was so grateful to have had such an easy, safe labor!

Our darling son was welcomed with so much love and happiness. I thought I was prepared for just how much I would love this little person - but nothing can prepare someone for this feeling of overwhelming love. I wish there was a word stronger than love - I feel the deepest love for this child, born of our love.


I cannot believe how changed I am - how one simple act of giving birth, something that happens to millions of people every single day - could have turned my world and what I thought I knew upside-down in the most amazing way possible.

Motherhood is a gift unlike any other.

3 comments:

  1. Yay, so glad you wrote this! I love birth stories, and yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your birth story with us Mandy! You're an amazing woman, and I've truly enjoy your style of writing. This bit of print will be something both you, Chris, and Cole will be able to cherish and look back on for the rest of your lives. Wonderful work, both with words, and with bring a new life into the world. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic experience for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...