Friday, July 16, 2010

The Deepest Love

His warm little body is snuggled perfectly into mine, like two puzzle pieces that were meant to be together. The softest snores escape from his nose, and I can feel the heaviness that means the deepest, most trusting sleep. His tiny hands splay star-like against my chest, then his toes curl and uncurl in his dreams. I watch his face as he dreams, a whisper of a smile here, a faint frown there. I feel his breath, in and out, against my body. He needs nothing else right now - just to sleep safely in my arms as I marvel at his perfection.

This, I think, this is the deepest love.

His daddy walks in the door from a long day of work, but comes first to us to lovingly kiss his son. "Hello, little man," he says gently as he strokes his soft hair. He kisses me and asks how my day was, then takes our boy to feed him, diaper him, hold him, and rock him to sleep. I watch as he smiles at his daddy, a wide gummy grin that tells more than words ever could.

This, I think, this is the deepest love.

His gram lovingly holds her first grandson. "He is perfect, isn't he?" I ask, and of course Gram answers yes. She holds him tight, her arms remembering holding a different baby years ago, and is amazed at his strength. His grandpap takes him from my arms to burp him, patting him on the back and speaking to him in soft tones. They can't wait to teach him about the world and show him all their love.

This, I think, this is the deepest love.

His grammy eagerly awaits her turn to hold him. She plays with his long fingers as they curl around hers tightly. She marvels at his full head of dark hair. His papa cradles him gently in his arms, smiling at my insistence that he is, of course, a genius. They are so eager to share their love with this long-awaited grandbaby.

This, I think, this is the deepest love. There can be no greater love than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...