Wednesday, September 7, 2011

On my soapbox again

Judgement.


It's something that goes hand in hand with parenthood.


As a parent, I feel as though someone is always watching, ready to critize or correct.  Someone is always ready to jump in with their opinion.  Someone is eager to inflict their beliefs on me/my child.


This is especially true when it comes to breastfeeding. 


Truly, before I became a mama, I hardly thought about breastfeeding.  I didn't notice anyone ever doing it - it simply was not on my radar.  But now, I hear about a mama who was told to cover at all times when breastfeeding her son ("It is more pleasing to God to conceal your body at all times, even when feeding your son"), a mama who has received criticism from posting a photo of her breastfeeding, a mama who has been criticized for allowing her two year old to breastfeed, and a mama who was thrown out of a YMCA pool because she began to breastfeed her six week old.


Come on, people.  Breastfeeding is natural.  It's what breasts were intended for.  It's not something that should be hidden away, or made to feel embarassed about. 
There is a reason why raising the number of women who breastfeed for a longer amount of time is one of the main goals for Healthy People 2020.  The United States is currently woefully behind the worldwide statistics for breastfeeding rates, which is detrimental because of the HUGE benefits babies who are breastfeed have.  Less childhood obesity? Less asthma and other allergies?  Less risk of breast cancer for the mother? Perfect nutrition, at the perfect temperature for baby at all times?  Saving tons of money on formula?


Research has shown that if 90% of new mothers breastfed exclusively for 6 weeks, 1000 infant deaths could be prevented. 


Why NOT do everything we can as a society to promote breastfeeding?  Why NOT make it as easy and comfortable as possible for mothers who choose to breastfeed their children?  Breastfeeding is difficult enough (especially at the beginning) without trying to stay covered up under a blanket for fear of judgement from others.  Breastfeeding for longer than one year has no drawbacks, only benefits - so why should we judge those who breastfeed their toddlers?

I hope that by the time Cole is a father himself, our society will become less judgemental.  I hope that mamas feel comfortable feeding their children without judgement, in any way they choose is best for them, for as long as they choose. 


I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...