Monday, September 26, 2011

Toddlers on a Plane! (not to be confused with "Snakes on a Plane", although possibly just as terrifying)

Cole and I are on our way to Palm Springs tomorrow.


Which means we are flying.  In a plane.


Just us two.


Ok, we just us two for the first leg of the flight - we're meeting up with Gram and Pap the second part (thank goodness!).


And I am a wee bit nervous.


I know, I know, I was all nervous this time last July when we flew cross-country to Philadelphia to visit relatives, but it was seriously a piece of cake.  I had Chris around for help, Cole was itty-bitty and portable and breast-feeding, so it was no problem.


But this time?  This time I am flying with a toddler, alone.  A toddler who NEVER HOLDS STILL.  Seriously, the only time he is still is when he's sleeping.  Which is not something he does at the drop of a hat. AND we didn't get him his own seat, he'll be on my lap.


I am combated with visions of a screaming, thrashing toddler in tight coach seats, while other flyers look disapprovingly at me.


So, I am breaking out all the stops.  Snacks? Check.  Books? Check. The Sesame Street app for my smartphone? Check.  (Only if true desperation arises, since we usually have a no TV policy for Cole...but hey, if it saves us from being kicked off the flight, I'll use whatever I need!)


And then some more unusual ideas I found while googling "toddlers on a plane":
  • Pipe cleaners.  Small, cheap, and no biggie if they get lost. 
  • Blue painter's tape.  Hopefully I won't be using to tape Cole's mouth shut (I'm totally joking, don't worry)
  • Aluminum foil. I wrapped up a new book in it, so Cole would have a "present" on the plane, then he can play with the foil.
  • These baby food thingys, which are awesome since they don't require a spoon.
Ok friends and readers...any other sanity-saving ideas from mamas who've been there, done that?  I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. No words of wisdom at all since we are not anywhere near that brave, but I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...