Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Parenting Lesson 101

Part of being a good parent, I think, is knowing when to help your child and when to let them struggle in order to help them learn.

Take rolling over, for example.  It was THE HARDEST THING EVER to watch my poor baby struggle and work and fuss when he was first learning to roll over.  He would cry with frustration when his body just wouldn't do what he wanted it to do! It was so tempting to just reach over and help him every single time, save him all that frustration - but I knew I couldn't swoop in and do the work for him, that he needed that frustration to do the learning he needed to do.  And now look at him - rolling over both directions faster than I can keep up with him!

Last night, Cole was sitting in my lap when his pacifier fell out.  I didn't pop it back in right away, so I could see what he did with it.  He deliberately picked it up and put it back in his own mouth.  (I know, he's a genius, right?!)  Let me tell you, I was one proud mama! 

But at the same time, it's just a wee bit sad.  Just one more way my baby is growing independent from me!  But I rejoice in every new thing he learns, every tiny step as he grows...there is nothing as amazing as watching my child learn - even if it kills me to watch him struggle as he does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...