Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I'm not sure if this really counts as my first Mother's Day. To be honest, the "mothering" that is done whilst a baby is in utereo is really the easiest part. But this year, for the first time, I am really starting to "get" what this holiday is all about.

I've wanted to be a mother for as long as I can remember. Looking back at some old school work in our attic one year, I found a first grade class assignment of "What Do I Want to Be When I Grow Up": of course, mine was a mommy.

I'm sure the reason I wanted to be a mom so much was because of my mom. When you have as great a mom as I do, it's no wonder.

Here's the thing...I think I finally understand what it means to be a mother. I'm not sure I have ever sacrificed quite so much for someone before... especially someone I haven't even met! And I haven't even gone through the whole labor thing yet!

But the key is that I love Baby Boy so much, it doesn't matter. I love him without even meeting him. I am honored and thrilled to have been chosen to be his mother. I would do anything for this child of mine. I have an opportunity to help shape and mold this tiny baby into a man, to love him unconditionally even on the hardest days - this is what it means to be a mother. A love like no other.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...