Saturday, June 18, 2011

SAHM

My name is Mandy, and I'm a stay-at-home mama.

What do you think of when you hear those words?

There's often a social stigma against SAHM's in our country - sometimes, when I tell strangers what I do, I get words like:

"Must be nice to sit around at home all day!"
"Don't you get bored?"
"Doesn't your husband get tired of supporting you?"
"Oh, you couldn't get a job, huh?"

The simple truth is that I LOVE being a SAHM.  It's what I was meant to do.  It doesn't mean that I can't find a job (I've actually turned down a couple of offers.)  It doesn't mean that I never get bored (do you ever get bored at your job, even if it's something you love?).  It doesn't mean that I never get lonesome or tired or frustrated.  It's not perfect.

But I love my job.

Before I had Cole, I was a teacher and I LOVED it.  And maybe sometime in the future I'll go back to teaching.  But honestly?  I tried teaching and being a mama at the same time.  It just wasn't for me - I couldn't handle it all.  So Chris and I made a decision for what's best for our family.

That does not mean that I will ever judge a working parent of any kind.  I hate bananas - does that mean you should hate bananas too? Of course not.  You do what works for your family, I do what works for mine.

All I know is that if you are a working mama, a part-time working mama, or a stay-at-home mama, you deserve kudos for doing your very best.

And if you want a laugh, read this hilarious blog post.

1 comment:

  1. I had an experience that totally blessed me. I went to a Fisheries and Wildlife banquet with my husband. I was 2 weeks post-preggo with Phinneas, feeling very self conscious, exhausted, and sore. I was surrounded by these very successful men and women who have published papers, done research, taught multiple classes, these were the giants of the F&W people in the northwest.

    Tyler introduced me to one of his professors, and she asked me what I did. I told her that I was a stay at home mom for the moment, but I had a degree in radiologic technology as an x-ray tech and I was going to go back to working as soon as the boys were in school. She gently placed her hand on mine, leaned in close, and told me that I did not need my degree to define me as a woman, that my work as a mother was more important than any degree could give me, and to enjoy these young years with my boys because they go by really fast.

    I no longer saw just a brilliant, successful Fisheries and Wildlife woman. I saw a brilliant and successful MOM! That amazed me, and made me feel like a million dollars despite the pain and exhaustion I was feeling at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...