Monday, July 18, 2011

How we're doing

Things Cole's doing AWESOME at around here:
  • Eating. What an EATER my son is.  Everything and anything goes right down the hatch without a fuss.  He still enjoys fruit the best (blueberries, peaches, and watermelon being the favs), but this kid munches on food the way "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" eats on Saturday.  Most mornings he eats even more than I do for breakfast!
  • Playing.  Most days, Cole does so well at entertaining himself.  I try so hard to foster that so he has a longer attention span and so I can get things done, and most days he does very well.
  • Traveling.  Cole is such an excellent little traveler.  He just sits in his carseat and becomes the best little trooper.
  • Walking.  My little mister now walks better than his Auntie Meg (who tends to run into stationary objects).  He is amazing at getting around (and getting into things!) and it is such joy to watch him.
  • Smiling and laughing.  Cole is truly SUCH a happy little guy - he is always ready to smile and laugh with me and we've spent many an hour dancing, tickling, reading, and playing with the dogs just so Mama can hear that laugh one more time!
Things we're still working on:
  • Getting beat up.  That would be me, not Cole (don't worry, I do not beat my child.  However, he does occasionally beat me).  At the moment I am nursing a black eye (from a board book shoved a little too enthusiastically into my face), a bruise on my chin (from a head bonk in the wee hours of the morning [my little guy sleeps like he's in an action movie in his dreams]), a bruise on my leg (sharp little elbows!), and a bite on my shoulder (Count DraCOLE-a).  He doesn't do any of it intentionally (or at least, with the intention of causing pain), but I'm noticing my defenses are getting a little faster with all the practice at deflecting potential injuries.
  • Diaper changes/clothing changes.  Seriously like wrestling an alligator.  For some reason Cole has decided that diaper changes are THE WORST THING EVER.  If he could talk, he'd probably be screaming "STOP TORTURING ME BY MAKING ME LIE STILL MAMA!"  As a result, we have ended up with poop all over the both of us on more than one occasion, as well as Mama having to perform some fantastic pro-wrestling moves to get him to stay still.
  • SLLLEEEEPPPPP.  Gah.  Sleep is still our undesirable number one issue. He still hates sleep with a vengeance.  Naptimes are oh-so-difficult.  Bedtimes have slipped back into a rough transition once again.  And Cole still seems to be under the impression that anywhere between 3:50 and 4:30 is a perfectly acceptable wake-up time. I love it when I'm reading a parenting article and the person is like, "How can I get my baby to sleep in past 8 am?" and I laugh hysterically because I would be overjoyed if I could sleep in till 6!  I'm planning on sleep training again once we're moved and settled, but I don't want to cause any undue extra stress on him while we're moving. Meanwhile, I am living like a zombie on a major caffeine fix.
What about you? What things are going well in your families? I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. I'll send our little Gracie over to teach Cole her sleeping trick. Ever since she was two weeks old she's been the best sleeper. She typically gives us 9 hours of sleep a night. I wake up around 4 to feed her, but if I didn't she would sleep straight through. Her last feeding is normally around 11:30 at night, and she won't wake up till around 9, sometimes 10 the next day. (I do feed her at around 4, then 7:30, and then again at 10 but she falls right back asleep once her little tum-tum is full) Not to rub it in, but yeah, we hit the sleeping jack-pot with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggestion for the diaper changes: change him while he's standing next to the sofa or a chair! I am starting to do that with Phinneas, and from about 9 months to 2 years, I had to do the same with Isaac. I like changing Phinneas next to a low coffee table with toys set out for him to play with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...