Wednesday, July 20, 2011

a perfectly imperfect day

That was today.  Perfectly imperfect. 

I have soooo much to do.  Seriously, my to-do list is as long as my arm.  I have boxes piled up to ceiling in some spots, but whole entire rooms left unpacked still.  I have trips to Goodwill to make, boxes to gather, laundry to do, items to sell, things to purchase for our new house...so.much to do.  Even with a lot of generous help from my in-laws, there's some things only I can do.

I'm a little overwhelmed.






So today, instead of panicking about how much there is to be done, I took a deep breath.  I took a nap with Cole.  We spent an hour this morning reading book after book after book and snuggling.  Cole dumped the dog's water and food bowls no less than five times (HIS idea of a good time, not necessarily mine!).  I made all of Cole's favorites for lunch (peaches and cottage cheese, watermelon, blueberries, cheese and crackers).  I tickled him and roughoused with him.  Cole unpacked the contents of three boxes I hadn't taped yet - that's ok.  We went outside to explore and Cole discovered the joys of dirt (including how funny it is to put handfuls of dirt on Mama's head - that was REALLY funny!).  

Even though my enormous to-do list is no shorter, we had an awesome day.  I felt like a great mama today.  I have all evening to pack - today needed to be about Cole.  I think I forget sometimes that as stressed and overwhelmed as I am with all the sudden changes in our lives, Cole is feeling the same way. 


So today we played.  And it was perfect. And the MOST perfect part? When Cole toddled right over to me, wrapped his arms around me, laid his head on my shoulder and gave me the sweetest hug in the entire world.  THAT made the whole day worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...