Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Story...

I am a planner. I love to plan ahead. Especially for things I'm looking forward to. When I emptied out my hope chest to move it when I graduated from high school, it was full of things I was saving to use for the future: ribbons and bows for a wedding, a dog collar for when I got a dog, and of course TONS of baby items.

Last night, I was going through my last box of baby stuff that has been in storage and I found this:

Oh, just one of her hundreds of baby blankets, you say? Nope...this blanket was made during a production of "Into the Woods", in which I was Snow White (with one line!), out of the yarn that we used for Rapunzel's hair. I clearly remember crocheting it backstage in the dark, amazed at how soft the yarn was and the perfect yellow color.

I made this blanket for my someday-baby-to-be wayyyy back in the year 2000. I was 15. I barely knew the boy who would become my husband and the father of my child someday. I didn't have plans for babies for a looooooooong time. But something inside me knew I was going to be a mama, without doubt, someday. Something inside me knew that being a parent was the only thing that would make my life complete and whole.
My dearest son, I hope you realize how much I love you, how much I have loved you before you were even you. Every time I wrap you in this blanket, I will think about how I crocheted every stitch for you, with love and anticipation, for that far-off someday when you would come to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...